Tuesday 28 May 2013

Angels In The Outfield


Sister Hall's new address!! It's her birthday on June 3rd (next week!!) so make sure to send her a card/letter or an email!

2381 Marine Dr, Apt B2
Oakville, ON
L6L 6R4

Angels In The Outfield

Alright so it's safe to say that I'm pretty in love with Oakville. The ward members absolutely spoil us missionaries! At church I had 2 different people come up to give us groceries! Oakville has the cutest little stores and restaurants and there are always people to talk with by the lake shore. Right now the only down side to Oakville would have to be the fact that this little oasis reminds me SO much of the movie Charley St Cloud, which happens to star Zack Effron (you can see how this can be a problem for me). Sister Ogden and I will be jogging in the morning down by the pier with all the boats and old men fishing, the sun will be rising and I'll be admiring the view and then without fail I'll think to myself:

"Man this sure reminds me of that movie Charley St Cloud! Jill and I sure liked that movie!"
which then prompts the thought
"Zack Effron was in that movie..." 
"STOP IT!!"
"I am a child of God....." 

haha that's pretty much my thought process every other morning. It makes me smile though cause it brings back some good memories with Jill :) (Yes it does!!!-J)

Anyways, I can't remember if I ever told you about our new investigator, but his name is Sammy and I adore him! He's probably in his 60's or 70's, he lives alone, very strong Christian and is from Egypt. The first time we met with him we talked with him about the restoration of the gospel and introduced the Book of Mormon to him, which he was very interested in. He got a little confused about the whole priesthood being restored because when we invited him to be baptized, he said that he had already been baptized. The whole trinity thing is also going to be a tough one to clear up, but all in due time. He really is just the sweetest old man though! When we came in he had cookies and drinks set up on the table and as we were leaving he was saying how he was so happy that we came to see him because when he met us on the street he saw angels with us and he felt something good in his heart and knew we had something important for him. 
Oh. My. GOSH!!! 
We went to see Sammy again last night and we planned to go in and clear up the priesthood/apostasy/restoration bit with him and re-invite him to be baptized, unfortunately that didnt quite go as smoothly as we had envisioned (but when does it ever haha). He still doesn't understand what it meant when Joseph Smith was given that power to restore the church BUT he has been reading his Book of Mormon! He is already into 2 Nephi! He believes it to be the word of God, but does not believe Joseph Smith was a prophet. Instead he sees Joseph Smith as a saint, but because he did not recieve any new revelation and just translated old scripture, he was not a prophet. I hadn't heard of that one before, so we had a good long silence, but then the scripture about how a seer is a revelator and a prophet also came to my mind...but I couldnt remember the reference so I had to settle for talking a little about D&C which didn't satisfy his concern (by the way its Mosiah 8:15) . What I should have done was born my testimony about Joseph Smith.... why I insist on throwing facts at people I will never understand! 
I guess I will just have to take comfort in knowing that the Lord intends and needs Sister Ogden and I to be teaching Sammy right now. 

Line of the Week: 
We are in district meeting and we are talking about how to ask inspired questions. Our district leader asks for examples of inspired question and a few people throw out some suggestions and then one elder says in his best batman voice,

"Where are the drugs!" 

lol we got a good kick out of that one.

Scripture of the Week: 2 Nephi 28:32

"Wo be unto the Gentiles, saith the Lord God of Hosts! For notwithstanding I shall lengthen out mine arm unto them from day to day, they will deny me; nevertheless, I will be merciful unto them, saith the Lord God, if they will repent and come unto me; for mine are is lengthened out all the day long, saith the Lord God of Hosts."


A Haiku for You: 
Return Appointment
Oh How I Have Missed You So
One In A Billion 

I love you all and so appreciate the letters and emails! =) 
Have a great week and Treat Yo-self! 


Sister Hall


Look Dad I can check my oil! AHHAHAHAHAHAH! 
So at our last zone teaching thing our zone leaders realized that a lot of the missionaries *cough the sisters cough* didnt know ANYTHING about cars, so they did a little how to lesson with all of us and taught us how to check our oil! 

My thought: Pffft what is this Amateur hour! 

When one sister asked what colent was I turned to her tried to figure out if she was joking, realized she wasnt, and enlightened her. The elders were  impressed and satisfied with my answer. Thank goodness you raised me like a boy haha





No comments:

Post a Comment