Tuesday 20 August 2013

Destination Eternal Bliss

Destination Eternal Bliss


Ok this time when you read my letter you have got to listen to Come, Come, Ye Saints by Libbie Linton (you know what to do Jill ;)) http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q=Libbie+Linton+Come%2C+Come%2C+Ye+Saints

So this week we spent some time doing something I like to call "first week of transfer clean out" or in other words we take a look at our investigators, see who is progressing and who is not and create a course of action from there. As a result our teaching pool has gotten a little smaller, but I know that God is looking out for us!
We are teaching a family right now who are from Congo. The mothers name is Vivian and she has two girls Chauncy (8) and Allegra (10). They had previously been taught by missionaries about a year ago but had to be dropped due to Vivian not keeping commitments. The first time we knocked on her door, Vivian answers the door looks at us and says
"I know I need to be baptized I just dont know when..."
In my head: "Well how 'bout now?!" haha
Her girls are amazing and they really want to get baptized, but we are facing the same problem with Vivian as the other missionaries. She knows she needs to be baptized and she wants that for her family, BUT that want is not strong enough to motivate her to do things like keep appointments with us and come to church.... It's SO close for her yet so far.... the one thing separating herself for eternal salvation is her lack of motivation... that darn agency, getting in the way of the work again ;) 

A Tender Moment With Sam
I wish I could explain to you what a gift Sam has been to sister Rogers and I, but words seem to escape me. As golden as Sam is, Rogers and I had one small concern that we thought might keep Sam from being baptized and that was a lack of support from family and friends. Well as we have been teaching Sam her son Jordan (18) has been joining in on discussions. In the beginning he was put off by the fact that his mom was thinking of changing religions and he was more argumentative with us than anything, but he continued to join in on conversations so we figured he must be enjoying something. Anyways, we saw Sam and Jordan on Wednesday and invited Jordan to come to church with Sam. He thought about it for a few seconds and then said possibly. Fast forward to Sunday and low and behold here comes Jordan and Sam. 
-> actually it was a really funny story. Rogers and I are fast walking around the building from door to door trying to figure out which door Sam will walk through. The members are chuckling at us and next thing you know I see Sam and Jordan and Grace walking up, but I dont want them to think we have been creepily waiting for them this whole time so I grab Sister Rogers and run around the corner to make it look like we were just walking around and happen to run into them on their way in. The members watching are now busting a gut

Anyways, back to the story! So Jordan comes to church and we are SO excited to see him! He is still skeptical and his mom may have had to bribe him, BUT he is here and he had a smile on his face! So sacrament meeting goes great and we are now in Sunday school and are discussing the WOW (word of wisdom) both Jordan and Sam are throwing out their comments and everything is great. Then we head into the 3rd hour. We are sitting next to Sam and are having a lesson on donating to funds in the church. Sam gets up to leave (I assume she is going to the washroom) which is perfect because I had been wanting to get Sam alone so that we can talk about her baptismal date. We wait about a minute before we follow after her and end up running into her in the hallway, not anywhere near the washroom. In her hand is a tithing envelope... I think she saw me staring at it because after a lengthy silence she smiles and says, "Sister Hall, I hope its ok I left Relief Society! Rebecca let me know where the tithing slips were and I just wanted to run out and get one so that I could pay my tithing." 
We havent even taught her about tithing yet. 
I looked at her and just gave her a hug. 
Then we went into a room so that we could talk. She looked at us and tears started to well up in her eyes. She expressed to us gratitude that we brought this gospel to her. She has never felt the spirit so strong and she has never felt so "right." Then our wonderful beautiful Sam brought up her baptism. She said, "As I was sitting in the class room the teacher brought up baptism and I felt that baptism for me would be a way of regaining my innocence. It is the fresh start that I have been looking for since I was a girl." At this point we are all tearing up and the spirit is so strong you could cut it with a knife. I looked at Sam and saw her the way our Father in Heaven sees her; one of His precious daughters. I could literally feel the love that He has for her. Then we set her with a baptismal date for September 8th :D I cannot wait! 
To top it all off we were talking to Jordan after church and he had the biggest smile on his face. He told us about how people had been thanking him for all the comments he gave in class and how everyone was so nice and welcoming. We asked him if he would come back next week and he said he couldnt see why not. Sam was beaming! 

A mission is better than all the concerts, birthdays and vacations I've ever been to/had/on all combined into one And THAT is saying something! 
Sam was a member referral.... go out and share the gospel with your friends, be a good example! You never know who of your friends might be searching for this restored gospel. 
Line of The Week: 
In the car with Sister Rogers 
Me: "Who is someone you would die to meet?"
Rogers: "Eminem!"
Me: "What?! You're SO white.."
Rogers: "Oh my goodness! I LOVE eminem!"
Me: "Hmmm... you dont look like an eminem girl."
Rogers: "I feeel like an Eminem girl"
Scripture of the week: 1 Nephi 4:6 
"I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."
A Haiku for You: 
perspective 
it is up to You
glass half full

Sister Hall



Last P-day our Elders wanted to go to Toys R Us.... This is what they got.... 

Next thing you know we are in a church gym and I am defending myself with a racket 


No comments:

Post a Comment