Tuesday 17 June 2014

Are You Sleeping Through Your Life?

Are You Sleeping Through Your Life?

Shout Outs
Happy Fathers Day Papa! I heard this funny quote that I want to share with you :) "At the age of 14 I was appalled at how ignorant my father was. When I turned 21 I was amazed at how much he had matured." -Mark Twain  You sure do amaze me dad!

London Calling
So some wonderful news from London, the entire Ellis family came out to church this past week! They were welcomed like CRAZY into the ward AND they have been using the family reading and praying calendar we made them :) 
Chris didn't get baptized this week because he still has a concern about his DJing.... I feel like that might be a cover for something more serious but I am no longer his missionary. 

So it was yet another great week in the Kingdom! Efrem got baptized on Sunday and I don't think the spirit could have been stronger! It has been a long road for him and the decision to be baptized was not made lightly. He had the biggest smile on his face all Sunday and he kept going up to people inviting them to come to his baptism. I didn't think his smile could get any bigger but then he came out of the water and he just glowed! He was SO happy and he waved at everyone before getting out of the water :D After the service he went up to everyone to shake their hand and thank them for coming. My heart was so full of joy and the spirit :) 




Things with Valquiria have been interesting.. When we taught her last she hadn't been reading and her reason for not coming to church was that a personal matter had come up and that really she hasn't committed yet to come to church every week because she is not yet baptized..... hmmmmmm. Something is defiantly missing here.  I asked her why she wanted to get baptized and she said she didn't know. The more we talked with her the more concerned I got. I took a few days to think and pray about our situation and became enlightened. So Valquiria is really just about the sweetest and most innocent person I have ever met! I cannot imagine that she has committed any serious sin or transgression in her life and because of this I feel like she doesnt see the urgency for receiving her answer. She doesn't feel like her salvation is at stake because her conscious is fairly clean. So there is no motivation to change. Getting an answer would mean that she would have to act and she is comfortable where she is. The weird thing is that she understands the restoration. She understands that Joseph Smith restored the authority to baptize. I guess the problem is that she understands it in her head but it hasnt sunk into her heart. The spirit hasn't been able to testify to her that it is true because she hasnt been reading and praying.  

On a different note you will never guess who I met! Cletus Young! And I betcha that you also have no idea who I am talking about :) lol well Cletus is a less active member who is married to a very active lady in our ward. He was baptized about 2 years ago and was super active but has since fallen away. Cletus has come from a very very rough background. Actually he grew up in Newfoundland... in Corner Brook!!!! AND happened to be one of the biggest drug dealers on the rock! I just about died laughing!!!! I couldn't believe it! I asked him if he knew any of the Price boys who lived on Poplar Lain :) Cletus is 29 years old so it's unlikely that he knows any of my crazy uncles but I just thought that was so cool! I already feel a sort of kinship to him because of his rough background and how far he has come and I feel a bigger responsibility to help him back into the happiness of the gospel. 

My moral of this week is that I have seen many examples of people who are "sleeping through their life" on my mission. Efrem and Valquiria are two examples. Efrem has used his time to prayerfully find out if the message we share is true and has acted on his answer whereas Valquiria is content to just meet with us. This time is the time for us to perform our labours, it is the time to prepare to meet God. If we are not careful we may find ourselves sleeping through this life. The problem with this is that we don't realize that we have been sleeping until we wake up. I do not want to "wake up" at judgment day to see that I have not done the things the Lord has asked of me.
Just some food for thought :)  

Scripture of the week: Alma 38: 8-9
"And it came to pass that I was three days and three nights in the most bitter pain and anguish of soul; and never, until I did cry unto the Lord Jesus Christ for mercy, did I receive a remission of my sins. But behold, I did cry unto Him and I did find peace to my soul.

And now, my Son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, He is the life and the light of the world. Behold, He is the word of truth and righteousness."

A Haiku for you:
fatherhood
bumps, bruises, and heart aches 
he fixes

Well thats all for now. Remember to be wise and mature in your conduct at all times! ;) 

Sister Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment