Tuesday 10 June 2014

Gratitude In Guelph

Gratitude In Guelph


Shout Outs
Sister Williams! I got your package and it filled me with joy to see a letter from my moma! I loved the sweater as well! I will send you a letter soon... hopefully haha 
Thank you so much Sister Spencer and the rest of the relief society for the card it was super thoughtful! 
Thank you to the Bennett's for the cake and candles :) Funny thing is that Sister Maeta's birthday was on June 4th so I got to celebrate 3 birthdays in a row! 
Also John I finally got your letter from you and your roommate. It was very humorous and I wish you luck with trying to find a wife! Ill try and write back when I can! 
AND Happy Birthday Chris Roberts!!! Can't wait to see you guys again!


Birthday cake from the Bennett's! 

So let me tell you about Guelph! We cover the whole city by ourselves and it is very pretty. Much different from the slums of East London. We live in downtown and it super pretty with lots of trees and cute churches. We have a car now and it is WEIRD! The first day my back hurt from sitting for so long and it was probably only about 2 hours total of driving! I really miss walking around and talking with people so Sister Maeta and I have decided that we will drive to an area and then get out and walk to different places. I am pleased with this choice :) It is really nice however to be able to drop by so many people and offer members rides to lessons. My new companion is Sister Maeta and we actually served in the same district when I was in Kingston! She has been out since December and is from Tahiti which means she is learning English and that I have to help her. Me helping someone learn English.... laugh it up family!  She has a very strong testimony of the gospel and sees things as very black and white which compliments me very nicely. In that sense she reminds me of Jill :) 


A view from our apartment

As for this week, we spent our time going through our teaching pool to figure out who was serious and who wasn't. We ended up dropping a few people but the ones we have kept are very promising and one of those people is Efrem! So Efrem has been taught for quite a while and has made a lot of changes over the last few months. He is from Ethiopia and grew up with a belief in Jesus Christ, but lost it over the years and trials came his way. He used to be a drug dealer or something like that and when he met the sisters he decided that he wanted to start making changes in his life. He has a baptismal date for this Sunday which is very exciting! This week he moved out of his old apartment to get away from some of his friends and hasn't had a smoke or any coffee in a week! WHOOT! 

Valquiria is another lady we are teaching. She is from Brazil and is up here doing a research project. She is such a sweet spirit! So kind and soft spoken! She let the missionaries right in when they met her and has been learning ever since. She loves everything that the missionaries have been teaching her but when it came to being baptized she hesitated because she felt that if she got baptized it would be like saying to all her family and friends that her church is better than theirs. We had a really good lesson with her this week and explained how God does not discriminate against His children and neither does His church. We helped her to feel more comfortable about baptism and were able to set her with a date for June 29th. I have high hopes for Valquiria :) 


We are also teaching Yonas who is a Muslim. He has a baptismal date for June 29th and says that he truly wants to know if the Book of Mormon is true. Helping him to come to understand that Jesus Christ is the actual son of God will be a long road but Im excited for it! Anton is another investigator we found this week and he also has a date for June 29th. He is a recently converted Christian from India. He converted to Christianity mostly because his mom wanted him to and when we asked him about what he knew about Jesus Christ it wasn't much and he confessed that he only thinks of God when he is in trouble. He really wants his kids to start going to church though and I feel like as he starts centering his home on Jesus Christ he will notice a difference in their home life and that will be what really motivates him to get baptized. 

Anyways thats pretty much what our week has been like! I miss London but I feel like Guelph is where I am needed. I haven't heard from Sister Shurtliff about the Ellis family or about how Chris is looking for his baptism on sunday but next week I will give you an update! 

Hope you all have a wonderful week that is full of sunshine and memories that will last a life time! Do Good

Scripture of the Week: Helaman 12:1 
"And thus we can behold how false, and also the unsteadiness of the hearts of the children of men; yea, we can see that the Lord in his great infinite goodness doth bless and prosper those who put their trust in him."

A Haiku for YOU:
the harvest
thrust in your sickle
june is back 

Sister Hall



No comments:

Post a Comment