Tuesday 12 August 2014

My Burden Light

My Burden Light

First off Jen and David had to push the wedding back to this saturday because they weren't able to get the marriage license and yes I am still supposed to be a brides maid -_-

Next, holy stinking cow can Spanish people talk! We saw Sister Martinez and Sol again this week and man I just dont think it will ever be possible to get out of a lesson with them on time haha! Besides that however Sol was pretty frustrated and discouraged because he didn't receive his answer from God yet. I had a feeling this would happen so we spent the next hour helping him to understand how we receive revelation (and then another 40 min trying to wrap things up and say a closing prayer -_-) In 1 Nephi 15: 11 Nephi gives us the recipe for receiving personal revelation he says: 

"... If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping the my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you."

From this we learn that in order to receive answers to our prayers we must...

1. Open our hearts to the will of the Lord. This means we must be willing to act on the answer God gives us 

2. Pray and ask God our question

3. Have faith and believe that we will receive an answer 

4. Work for your answer! We must do more that just kneel and plead with the Lord, we must then get up search for our answer. Keeping the commandments shows God that we are humble and are willing to listen and obey and allows us to be more in tune with the spirit. 

We talked more about how God answers our prayers through reading scriptures and talked more about how his answer might come but that ultimately it comes in the Lords way and on the Lords time but that if he was patient and diligent it would come.
He still seemed skeptical, he thinks he's too old to change how he thinks.. pfft! I told him off and said that if he keeps saying that he is stubborn then that's what he'll be! By saying those things he is blocking the spirit and making it harder for Heavenly Father to reach him. I advised him to focus on the desire he has to know if God is there and let that be his positive motivation. One thing I do know is that when Sol becomes a member he will be one of the most dedicated strongest kingdom builder in all of Ontario

Heavenly Father taught me a lesson on the importance of follow up this week. So about 6 weeks ago I met this guy named Greg on the street, talked to him very briefly, gave him a Book of Mormon and set up an appointment with him. It was a pretty average contact and he didn't seem too interested. Well we ended up missing that appointment and when we called him the number wasn't in use, so I just figured he wasn't actually interested. However as the weeks went on he kept popping into my mind. They weren't very strong impressions though so I just put him to the side and figured we get around to dropping by him later. 
-> lol you think I would have learned my lesson by now
Well 2 weeks ago we ran into Greg again! I apologized for missing our appointment and it turned out the number I had written down was completely wrong so we made a new appointment. So this week we finally made it over to his place! We start out with a prayer and then do How to Begin Teaching and begin our lesson. The lesson is going alright but I can feel that there is something missing and that is his interest level. He was paying attention and answering our questions, but his answers lacked depth and interest. We started to talk about Jesus Christ and asked him more about what he knew. He gave us the classic Christian answer about how he died on the cross for our sins. We were about to move on when I felt prompted that we needed to help him understand Christ's personal relevance for him. I cant remember what I asked or how it happened, but we got on the topic of why Christ did those things for us. Greg started to participate a little more and actually started to ask us questions. It lead to him open up about how ever since he was little he felt like something was missing in his life and that for the past 2 years he had been searching for something that would fill his void. We testified of the Saviour and of the cleansing healing power of His Atonement. It was a really cool experience! And I am grateful that Heavenly Father gave us a second chance to talk with him :) 

It was a nice week and I am learning a lot in this area which I am very grateful for :) 

I hope everyone has a stinking fantastic week! Go out and do some good :)

Scripture of the Week:  3 Nephi 27: 16
"And it shall come to pass, that whoso repenteth and is baptized in my name shall be filled; and if he endureth to the end, behold, him will I hold guiltless before my Father at that day when I shall stand to judge the world."

A haiku for you!
Diligent 
the race against sin
Repentance 

Sister Hall


Our District picnic

Sister Maeta and a crayfish(? sp) she ripped of its arms a few seconds latter... crazy Island people!

Sister Balderson and I :) She is a friend from Lethbridge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment