Tuesday 23 September 2014

Unexpected Breakdowns

Unexpected Breakdowns (emotionally)

This was another great week :) Time seems to not be on my side and it keeps slipping past me! I can't believe we are already on week 5 of the transfer! :S
 
So this week was full of fun activities and spiritual experiences! We weren't able to coordinate our scheduled with Ronda and Kassidy this week so we weren't able to see them and Kassidy went to her dads on the weekend so they didn't end up coming to church but this is a new week! We have been having B.e.a.utiful fall weather here! All the leaves are changing and there is a slight crisp to the air AND NO snow! Lol silly Calgary! Every time Calgary gets snow the members text me laughing at me lol.

Fall in Ontario

 
We had a lot of spiritual experiences this week, one of them being with Jen, David and the boys. They have been coming to church and they are moving along slowly. We talked with them a lot about repentance and forgiveness and Jeremy brought up how he didn't like when his dad would make fun of him.
*cue the awkward silence*
We weren't sure what to say or how to go about resolving this particular concern because we didn't feel like a couple of 20 year olds should tell a father to stop making fun of his son. We spent a little time asking questions and talking to David about how he felt and then the revelation hit me. I looked at Jeremy and told him that throughout his life he will have people who may make fun of him and may tease him but that what they say doesnt matter because HE is a son of God. As soon as I said that the spirit filled the room :) I went on to explain that God loves him and created him just the way he is and that we are all special and unique in our own ways.
 
Also in primary Jeremy gave the closing prayer! Ah! I am so proud of these boys :) Brian said that next week he was asked to give the prayer and that he was excited to do it.
 
As for training Sister Urie- things are going great! She has adapted flawlessly to missionary life and my training methods haha. One of the new ideas I'm trying out was inspired by Jill's favorite swimmer Michael Phelps. So something his coach would do to help Michael are things like purposefully being late to pick him up to a competition, making him compete without goggles etc... He did this to help Michael learn to perform under stress and unforeseen obstacles. I thought that was pretty ingenious so I decided to try that out with Sister Urie! In missionary work things usually never go according to plan and sometimes you get companions who don't do a lot. To prepare her for these types of situations I figured I would have to create them! For example we were about to walk into our first lesson with someone we met on the street. Right before we got in there I told her that she would be teaching the whole lesson by herself (hahaha oh man I am SO mean)! She looks shocked and I knock on the door before she can say anything. We get in there and she starts teaching. She is a little shaky at first and looks over at me and pauses a couple of times to see if I'll come in and talk but I just smile at her encouragingly. So she keeps going haha. I made her teach by herself up to prophets and then I came in and offered some insights. Lol the look of relief on her face was priceless! Other times we would drop by a member or a less active and I'd give her 5 min notice for her to organize a spiritual thought to give to the members. Sister Urie would start flipping through her Book Of Mormon trying to find something to share.
I've had a lot of fun with this one and Sister Urie has been a great sport about it and is usually up for the challenge ;) She has grown a ton in these last few weeks and never ceases to amaze me!  I haven't come up with a name to title this training method so I'm open for any suggestions :)
 
Another cool experience we had was just this morning. We went over to teach a lady named Jennifer for the first time. We had tracted into her and her husband about a month ago and they asked us to come back in September. She has a strong belief in Christ and is very family centered. We taught her about the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ through living prophets today. Everything went smoothly and she asked great questions! At the end Sister Urie invited her to be baptized and she said that if she received an answer from God that she would. We proceeded to explain how after she is baptized that she will receive something called the gift of the Holy Ghost. We explained that with the gift of the Holy Ghost you have the right to his constant companionship and that he would comfort her, bring her peace, warn her of danger and give her guidance from God. I related to her about how my parents were constantly praying and seeking inspiration from God on how to raise my sister and I. That they admitted on numerous occasions they would be prompted by the Holy Ghost on how to treat certain situations while raising us. The spirit was strong and she listened intently and admitted that that would be very important as a parent. All in all she is wonderful and we are excited to start working with her :D She is pretty busy so we won't be able to see her for around 2 weeks but all in all it was a great morning. 
Ok last story, I promise! So I had my very first breakdown this week haha. It was on friday and some of our investigators were causing us grief- needless to say by the end of the night I was tired and I started to tear up. I tried to laugh it off and told Sister Urie I had no idea why I was crying. Then she looked at me and told me the reason why I was crying was cause I was going home. Silence.... *cue uncontrollable sobbing*. It was sooooo bad haha. I was trying to drive home whipping away the tears and just telling Sister Urie over and over how I didn't want to go home. She just rubbed my back and told me everything was going to be ok. Ah good times. 

Post breakdown picture 

Alright that's all I have time for! I hope you all have a fabulous week!!!!  
Line of the Week: A little background to this story. So Sister Urie really sucks with accents haha and we approach an old Russian man.
Me: "Hey, how are you doing?"
Guy: "What are you going to try and teach me?"
Sister Urie: "OH NO! We arent going to attack you!!"
awkward silence.... 
Me: "He asked what are we going to teach him."
Sister Urie: "ooooohhhhhh"
A Scripture For You: D&C 1: 33
"And he that repents not, from him shall be taken even the light which he has received; for my Spirit shall not always strive with man, saith the Lord of Hosts."
A Haiku for you
break downs 
awkward silences
mission life 

Sister Hall
 

Traveling to conference for Elder Cardon


Some of the folks I came out with :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment